“Customer Success has changed”
The world has changed and very rapidly over the last few years and our what were “traditional” customer success teams and functions have shifted massively and there’s more change to come.
- Burnout was already high but now churn is rising and so are layoffs.
- The SaaS model that defined much of the 2010s and early 2020s was predicated upon having access to near-unlimited capital.
- Customer Success was already struggling through three distinct crises: Overextended roles, high stress and unrealistic expectations, and previous leniency on metrics.
It’s a wakeup call! We need to think differently and shift:
- Streamline Customer Success roles to focus on core value delivery.
- Adjust job expectations and provide sufficient support to prevent burnout.
- Identify which metrics matter to customers upfront and focus all your energy on driving those to demonstrate the value your solution provides early and often.
We need to start refocusing on customer value and change our thinking and approach.